Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Bugaboo bookclub September book pick


So did anyone out there read My August book pick "Two old women" If so tell me what you thought about it.

This month I am picking a book I read several years ago by Mildred Taylor called "The Land" She is also the author of "Roll of thunder hear my cry". "The Land" is Mildred D. Taylor's wonderful prequel to her Newbery Medal winner, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. My family also actually listened to it on tape while on a long road trip from Utah to Dallas TX. The narrator was excellent. So I recommend the audio version too.
Here is what amazon said about it.
Paul-Edward Logan, the son of a white, plantation-owner father and a slave mother, is our narrator, bound and determined to buy his own land and shape his own future at whatever cost. Caught between black and white worlds and not fitting into either one is devastating for him, but his powerful, engaging tales of the love of family, the strength of friendship, and growing up will inspire anyone to dare to persevere despite terrible odds. Taylor's books are not only essential in understanding what led up to the Civil Rights movement in America--they are also breathtaking page-turners, full of suspense, humor, love, and hope. The Land certainly stands alone, but the other award-winning tales of the Logan family--Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry; Let the Circle Be Unbroken; and The Road to Memphis--are excellent as well. Heartily recommended. (Ages 12 and older) --Karin Snelson --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment