Sunday, September 13, 2009

Freshly painted front door and shutters

We bought a fixer upper house 2 1/2 years ago.  It has been a slow work in progress and one of my desires for the longest time was to paint our front door and shutters black instead the worn out faded forest green shutters and the dingey white door.  And finally we did it yesterday!  It looks so much better!  It is not perfect you can see a couple dents in the door still even though I was sure I had filled them all, but it is a huge improvement to what it was!  Part of the reason it took me so long to do this project is because I was not sure how to do it, but with research and help from the lady at home Depot we finally got enough courage to try it. 
1. Take  door off hinges take off hard ware 
2. sand it.  I used my mouse sander by black and decker it made that job much faster.
3. If there are any dents fill them in
4.While that was drying I painted the frame around my door a nice crisp white.
5. Now you can paint the door!  We used an exterior paint with primer already in it by Behr to save an extra step.  first apply with a angled brush you will need 2 or 3 coats.  And then go over it with a  roller to give a more smooth finish.  It is wise to set the door up on a couple of chairs so it is raised up off the ground and also do it in a garage so that dust and bugs don't fly into the paint.
6. put hardware back on and rehang door.
For the shutters we used a heavy duty industrial exterior spray paint.

1 comment: