Sunday, April 18, 2010

Look what I have been up to!

I have been trying to find ways to save money and become more self sufficient and here are couple of  new things that I am trying.
I started my own plant starts for my kiddie pool gardens a week ago and this is what I woke up to this morning!
There is just something magical about seeing new seedlings popping up out of the soil!  It makes me happy :-)
This seedling is a sunflower plant.  If you look close you can see the sunflower seed shell hanging on the plant.  I am going to plant about 8 sunflowers along my fence  The rest of my seedling are veggies for the gardens.

And call me crazy, but I have decided to try my hand at having some laying hens!  I have never done this before, but my friend Shauna has always had laying hens and says that fresh layed eggs taste way better than store bought.  She said that even though they say the store bought eggs are fresh  they are actually usually about a month old by the time they get to the store and the birds that lay these eggs are pumped full of hormones and antibiotics.  I have actually been interested in getting my own chickens for a couple of years now, but listening to her pushed me over the edge and convinced me to try it. So I  got 4 chicks at my local Cal- Ranch store that are about 2 weeks old. They are supposed to all be hens. I sure hope none of them are roosters!
 I will have to keep you posted on how it all works out!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Michelle, look at you!! You go girl!!! I'm excited to see how you enjoy your hens. I'll bet the kids are enjoying the baby chicks. Where are you going to keep them when they get all grown up? I've been wanting to plant some kiddie pool gardens this year, but need to call you to get a little more info before I dive in. I've been really enjoying watching spring unfold here. I've already got blossoms on my raspberry and blackberry plants and also my peach tree. Yea!!! I'm planting two more raspberry plants today and I'm also going to plant some strawberries as well. I might try to plant some sunflowers as well. I'll call you later! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would seriously call you insane on the chickens if I hadn't lived through the worst grasshopper plague known to man last year! I am so scared to plant ANYTHING this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think I will go eat some store bought eggs! My eggs sound disgusting right now. I am excited to see how your chicken experience pans out...maybe I should get some too!

    ReplyDelete