Monday, April 12, 2010

Flax seed wheat bread

      I was helping my Dad clean his house last week and I came across a newspaper clipping he had saved that had blue ribbon 2009 Utah Fair winners recipes.  He had saved it for a Spice cake recipe full of walnuts Yuck!  (Sorry I don't have an issue with spice cake I'm sure it is very good.  I just have a texture issue when there are hard things in soft things) Generally I don't like nuts in cookies and cakes except for some reason I can handle nuts on top like German Chocolate cake etc. Kind of weird I know, but anyway back to what caught my eye.
Because I have been trying to eat more healthy I have been looking for a good high fiber bread recipe.  I saw this Flax seed wheat bread reicipe from Sharlet E. Braman of West Jordon Ut.  I figured it must be good if it won a prize at the State Fair so I tried it :-)  And it did not disappoint!  The recipe makes about 5 loaves.  I made a batch on Friday  and my family has almost finished it off as you can see from this picture I took  this morning.  I guess I better make more!
I only made one change.  I put in honey instead of molasses.  Next time I may try to add some oatmeal too.  Try it!  You'll like it!  And It is way healthier than store bought!


FLAX SEED WHEAT BREAD
• 3 3/4 cup hot water

• 1/2 cup dark brown sugar

• 1/4 cup molasses

• 3/4 cup butter

• 1 1/2 tablespoons salt

• 3 packages Fleischmann's RapidRise yeast

• 2 beaten eggs


• 2 tablespoons wheat gluten

• 2 tablespoons dough enhancer

• 1 cup ground flax seed

• 5 cups whole wheat flour

• 5-6 1/2 cups white flour

Heat water to almost boiling and pour into large bowl. Add sugar, molasses, salt and butter; stir to dissolve and melt. Add 3 cups wheat flour, eggs, dough enhancer, gluten, yeast and flax seed.



Beat well with mixer. Add the rest of the wheat flour while mixing dough with mixer. Add enough white flour until you have a soft dough.



Pour out dough onto a counter and knead in enough flour to make the dough smooth and elastic for 5-10 minutes. Place in a clean, greased bowl, cover and let rise until double in bulk (about 45 minutes). Punch down, shape into loaves and put into a greased bread pan. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes. While bread dough is rising, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.



Bake bread for 35 minutes. Remove from pans and rub tops of the loaves with butter. Cool on a rack and place in plastic bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment