Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Matryoshka doll puzzle

So here is puzzle #2!
 I was at a friends house recently and she had all these neat wood puzzles that were just simple and fun :-)  A couple of them were even from her childhood.  As I watched the kids happily playing with them I thought I bet I can make one of those!  Wood puzzles are hard to find and when you do find them they are  kind of expensive. I thought that they would make nice Christmas gifts for little ones (mine included).  So I started looking on Google for simple color pages for some inspiration that would make good wood puzzles. I found some cute ideas!  here is the  Matryshka doll puzzle I made :-)

First I cut the doll shapes out of a carefully measured piece of pine wood. I also cut little notch holes at the bottom of each doll so that they could more easily be taken out.  Then I glued a nice plywood on the back.
Next I drew my dolls. (Before I had the doll designs drawn on my little 3 year old thought they were ghosts :-)  Any way then I took my new trusty wood burner tool and wood burned over my drawn design and here is what they looked like after that.


Then I painted them with water color paint.


Now before I stain it I am trying to decide if I need to put in some sort of back ground or put a title of "Matryoshka dolls" on it  somewhere.  Anyone have any ideas?  Should I leave it be or add something more?

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment