Thursday, November 24, 2011

Dinner rolls

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
 I slacked at my plans to post Thanksgiving recipes all week :-/  I have been crazy busy making Nativity puzzles for my Etsy store.  I have been getting orders about every day.  I have 3 puzzles I want to have ready to go by tomorrow!  So I will be spending my Thanksgiving day working on finishing them. 
I am going to my Sister In laws for Thanksgiving and I have been asked to bring the rolls.
I have several roll recipes I like one of them being my moms, but I especially like my neighbor Shauna's rolls :-)
So I thought I would post her recipe.  also I never got to the Turkey My mom had special ways to make a perfect Thanksgiving Turkey. She always said that you need to bake a turkey breast down so the fat and juices from the back settle into the breast and make it more tender.  She had other things she did, but when she passed away she took that knowledge with her.  So I found this link that is very similar to her way of roasting a Turkey so it is what I have followed for the last 3 years. 

Now onto the roll recipe!



Shauna's dinner rolls



2 cups scalded milk (or better yet, 1 cup evaporated milk and 1 cup hottest tap water!)

¾ cup warm water

1 cube margarine, melted

***(you want the temperature of all the above liquids to be 90°-100° or about baby bottle temperature. So if you scald the milk or overheat the margarine, use cold water instead of warm water etc.)***

2 large eggs

½ cup sugar

2 tsp. salt

4 cups flour

2 Tbs. yeast

Add the ingredients in the order listed above, whisking in the eggs and adding the yeast on TOP of the flour (to shield it from the salt). Add 3-4 more cups flour, a ½ cup at a time until the dough cleans the sides and bottom of the bowl. Knead for 7 minutes. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Squeeze off balls of dough about 2 ¼ inches in diameter. Place about ½ inch apart on a greased baking sheet. Preheat oven to 400°. Cover dough with warm wet towel and let rise about 20 minutes or until double. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter and cover with a towel until serving. Here's a little video to show you how Shauna shaped the dough balls!

No comments:

Post a Comment