Thursday, March 17, 2011

Soft and Delicious Whole Wheat Bread

I  made the best bread this week! 
 I wanted to try a new Whole Wheat bread recipe from the one I usually make.  In my search I came across this recipe in a booklet I got from the Tucson Cannery back in 1999 when we lived there.  When I saw the name "Soft and Delicious Whole Wheat Bread" I knew I needed to try it!
Here is a picture of it when the loaves had  risen and were ready to bake.  I did not get a pic. after they were baked, but you will just  have to believe me that they baked into the most beautiful yummy loaves of bread :-)
The recipe

Soft and Delicious Whole Wheat Bread

Makes 4 loaves

5 cups warm water
2 Tbs. yeast
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
2 eggs
1/3 cup potao flakes
 1 Tbs. salt
6 cups whole wheat flour
4-5 cups unbleached flour

Dissolve yeast in water.  Make a sponge using all ingredients down to, and including salt. mix and let sit for 10 min. Add flour a cup at a time while mixing until dough is close to cleaning the mixing bowl then knead for about 5 min.  cover with plastic wrap and let rise until double. Punch down; shape into 4 loaves, place in greased pans. cover and let rise until double. ( I used rapid rise yeast so I shaped loaves in pans let them rise in a warm oven about 200 degrees then turned the oven up to 350 and baked for about 30- 40 min.)

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 min.. Put hot bread on a towel to cool for a soft crust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment