Friday, March 5, 2010

Home made corn and flour tortillas

I was at the grocery store the other day and I was looking for corn meal and noticed this product.
And the thought hit me "how hard would it be to make my own corn tortillas?"  I looked on the back and read the directions and I realized I can do this!  Since our family has been effected by the economical crunch I am always looking for ways to save money.  I could make a ton more better tasting fresh tortillas for the same price I would pay for one premade packaged tortillas.  So yesterday I decided to make them. You can find a great tutorial on how to make them here.  here is a pic of how mine turned out.
I know they do not look perfectly round,  but pretty good for my first time without a tortilla press.  Boy did they smell good making them!  I may need to invest in a tortilla press if I do this often.

So then I thought "I wonder how hard it would be to make flour tortillas?"  While I was in the mood I decided to make some.  I looked online for a recipe and decided on trying this one.  But this website has a great tutorial.  I will have to try that recipe next time to see if there is a difference.  I actually made my dough in my kitchen aid instead of doing it by hand and it seemed to save time and the dough turned out beautiful!  I could not believe how easy it was and they taste way better than store bought.  Here is a pic of how my flour tortillas turned out.
again not perfect looking, but oh so good!  Well at least that is what my family told me.  I am not eating breads right now, but when I can  I can't wait to try them!  We made mexican pizzas  with the flour tortillas last night.  I put salsa on the bottom to replace pizza sauce and then I put down black beans, homemade Bajio chicken.   Here is another bajio recipe that is also yummy that my friend Valerie made up.
Fill a large crockpot with boneless skinless chicken breasts (we used 6.5 lbs glazed frozen). Add 1 1/3 cups brown sugar, 2 cans diced green chiles, 1 diced, medium onion, and 1/4 cup water. Let cook ALL DAY (at least 5 hours) on high. Use tongs to shread before servining

So anyway back to the Mexican pizzas.  I topped them with cheddar and pepper jack cheese and then I put them on a cookie sheet and broiled them for about 5 minutes. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Michelle, they look great! I'm definitely going to try your Bajio chicken, in fact I'm off to find a bigger crock pot today because I have to make soup for our RS birthday dinner and the one I currently own is way too small for the amount of soup I need to make. Everything sounds so yummy! - can't wait until I can eat breads again myself!!!

    ReplyDelete