Saturday, February 26, 2011

The latest :-)

So if any of you saw my post about Tortas here is what I did with the leftovers! 
For breakfast the next day we made Molletes! (an open faced Mexican pizza.)  (Kind of like a french bread pizza) Like I said before this is a breakfast version so we did the black refried beans, eggs, Chorizo, cheese and salsa. Then I broiled them.  So hearty and so filling! So anyway I just had to share that :-)

So I have been thinking a lot lately about how food prices are going up.  Gas prices etc.  I have been feeling more and more that I don't want to be a slave to stores and be more self sufficient.  OK before you start thinking I am a fanatic I want you to know that I really am just  a regular person like you.  I am just learning more and more as my family has been affected by the bad economy that things I used to think I could only buy at the store I can make easily and it is much more healthy! Like the Chorizo I made the other night.  I would have never guessed I could make my own Chorizo!

And today My daughter and I made our own  Wheat Thins!

I love wheat thins!  and I can't believe how it cost us just pennies to make at home compared to what you pay at the store and they taste so close to the real thing without all of the preservatives!  I found the recipe here

Some other easy to make good snacks to make for your family are granola bars, tortilla chips, graham crackers, I am still discovering others :-)

I don't know if you remember that I have Chickens (only hens).   We got them last spring.  They started laying eggs in August and have layed all winter.  I can't tell you how nice it has been to never be out of eggs!  And they taste so much better! 

Now my latest venture is starting to get ready for my garden this spring.  I have it all planned out and I have been itching to get my hands in the earth.  Winter just go away already! I am already starting some of the cool weather veggies inside. Like lettuce, Leeks, green onions, spinach, etc.  I planted them last Saturday and I already have little starts coming up from my onions and lettuce! You can find supplies at the dollar store to start your seedlings.
                                                                           butter crunch lettuce
                                                      green bunch onions

I have done kiddie pool gardens the last two years because I don't like to deal with weeds, but this year I am going to try Lasagna Gardening.  It is supposed to have minimal weeds by using this gardening technique also.  Check out the link above and There is another good link here.  You may be interested too :-)  This year I want to pretty much grow all the things my family will eat veggie wise. I also want to grow herbs and more Strawberries.  I actually want to grow strawberries on the parking strip in front of my house, but I worry that I may not be ambitious enough to do that, but It is an idea I have been kicking around for a couple of years now.  I have heard lately that due to different natural disasters around the world that there have and will continue to be produce shortages. Prices will go way up or things will not be as available so I have decided as many of the rest of you have that as much as I can grow myself the better all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment