Wednesday, June 6, 2012

June bugaboo book club pick

The book I chose for the month of June  is "How Green Is My Valley" by Richard Llewellyn.
  I am choosing this book because It was recommended to me recently, and I just so happened to find it at my local thrift shop for $1.00!
I love it when I find little lucky gems like that :-)  This one also happens to be a 1940 edition so i thought that was kind of neat also.  I love old books that I know have belonged to someone else and have a history! This has written inside "With love from Clarence and Fern Sept. 14th 1944."  I just Love that!


I have not read this book before so I will be discovering it along with you :-)  Here is Amazons  review.


How Green Was My Valley is Richard Llewellyn's best-selling - and timeless - classic, as well as the basis of a beloved film.
As Huw Morgan is about to leave home forever, he reminisces about the golden days of his youth when South Wales still prospered, when coal dust had not yet blackened the valley. Drawn simply and lovingly, with a crisp Welsh humor, Llewellyn's characters fight, love, laugh, and cry, creating an indelible portrait of a people.
Richard Llewellyn (1906-1983), a Welsh novelist, was born in Hendon, England, in the county of Middlesex. Before World War II, he spent periods working in hotels, wrote a play, worked as a coal miner, and produced his best-known novel, How Green Was My Valley, as well as 19 other novels. After the war, he worked as a journalist, covering the Nuremberg Trials, and then as a screenwriter for MGM.


UPDATE:  I loved this book!  It was so well written and had so many life lessons in it!  It has a lot of depth so if you are a shallow reader this book might a little more difficult. For me it was a masterpiece!

No comments:

Post a Comment