Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Grandma Lucille's Carrot Cake




 I am not usually a big carrot cake fan. And I have decided that it is because most carrot cakes have nuts in them and I can't handle nuts in cake.  (It is a texture issue I have had my whole life), but my family was over at my sister Kari's  for her Birthday last Sunday and her daughters made Grandma Lucilles carrot cake for her(without nuts).  Talk about a pleasant blast from the past! It had been years since I had had that cake and I was instantly reminded of how amazing it is!   Thank goodness when my sister Kari was in college she had the presence of mind to ask for the recipe.(A few years before Grandma passed on.) 

You want the recipe too?

Grandma Lucille's Carrot Cake and Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp cocoa
1/4 cup buttermilk
3 cups grated carrots

Frosting:

1/2 Cup butter
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts
about 5 cups powderedsugar
Directions:
Cream sugar and oil. Beat in eggs one at a time. sift dry ingredients. add alternately with buttermilk to egg mixture. Add carrots.
Pour into large oblong pan.
Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hr. Cool and Frost.


Frosting:


Cream butter and cream cheese; add sugar and vanilla mix. Spread on cake.

Garnish with nuts.


Yummy! Yummy!  Yummy! 



Also because all ovens bake differently it may bake quicker then the recipe asks.  I pulled mine out about 12 minutes earlier than the recipe said. 
And just so you know this cake rises up quite a bit.

I had been having trouble knowing what would be a inexpensive gift for friends and neighbors this year and I have decided that they need to have some of Grandma's carrot cake too.  So that I what I am making this year.  I am baking it in bundt pans and mini loaf pans so I can easily slice pieces and spiral them on a plate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment